Friday, January 28, 2011

Week 2: Good Readers and Good Writers

Good Readers and Good Writers Assignment
By Josh Tate
Nabokov says that a good reader is one who has imagination, memory, reads with a dictionary, and has some artistic sense. Nabokov developed his very own definition of what a good reader is by coming up with ten potential definitions of what a good reader is and then quizzing his college class to pick the best four out of those ten. From the feedback he received he then came up with his very own definition of what is takes to be a good reader. I agree with Nabokov in that a good reader needs to have the four characteristics he came up with, but I do think there are good readers, that do not posses all four characteristics, out there.
I believe to be a good reader one must have to be focused, have a good imagination, be open minded, and have an adequate memory. I do not think it is fair to limit what we define as “good” readers to just a few short characteristics. I believe that as there are many different types of people in this world there are also many different types of good readers, all with their very own characteristics of what a “good” reader is that hold true to themselves.
I consider myself a decent reader. I don’t necessarily consider myself a “good” reader just for the fact that in my spare time reading is not something I choose to do a whole lot of. I do have some characteristics of a good reader and when reading has to be done I’ll do it but overall I am not a very avid reader.



Here is a list of the 100 greatest novels of all time might be worth checking out for all you avid readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment